Hitting the gym and eating a balanced diet are certainly two major parts of a healthy lifestyle, but studies show that everyday yard work may also be beneficial. From stress relief to muscle toning, working on home projects offers a multitude of health boosting properties. If you are considering tackling a new outdoor project, these are just some of the benefits you can expect.
- Reduced Stress: A study published in the Journal of Health Psychology found that just a half-hour of gardening reduces cortisol levels, according to Bel Marra Health. Other studies have found that simply being in nature can be highly restorative to the mind.
- Lowered Risk Of Disease: A Swedish study found that gardening and doing other work around the house can reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke by 30%. The study involved nearly 4,000 60-year-olds, showing that raking those leaves really could be making your heart stronger.
- Muscle Toning: It is not just bad luck to feel sore after you change your gutters, an important task that should be done twice per year. Your muscles are working hard to use yard tools and reach high. While your mind may not be thinking about it, performing average yard work gets your entire body moving. Try it out and enjoy the full body workout.
- Reduced Risk Of Depression: A recent study found that a walk in nature may prevent depression. The same may go for working outside. Whether working in the garden or clipping branches, your mind is being soothed by nature. This escape from everyday life may be highly therapeutic for some.
- Improved Focus And Memory: According to Bel Marra Health, an Australian study found that regular gardening may reduce the risk of dementia. The study followed over 2,800 people for 16 years, finding that those who gardened every day had lowered their risk of dementia by 36%.
The next time you are dreading your home improvement project, remember that it may actually be giving your health a boost. By finding regular reasons to get outside and move, you are helping your body and mind stay as sharp as possible. These projects are all part of an active lifestyle, keeping you toned and happy far into your older years